Thursday 19 January 2012

Welcome to my Blog!


Figure 1:
Apples
 Hey there everyone! My name is Pauline N and I am a second year undergraduate student at the University of Alberta, studying Nutrition and Physical Activity. I am very excited to start my very first blog so I can share all my new nutritional knowledge with everyone! I am passionate about educating others about healthy lifestyles through means of proper diet and exercise.

Many athletes will know that achieving the "perfect body" requires not only strenuous hours at the gym, but also means dedication to eating your fruits and vegetables and the willpower to pass on the last slice of pizza. As many of us stare enviously at the front pages of magazines, I strive to inform you the HEALTHY way of eating and exercising to get you looking like your idolized celebrities.  
As the field of nutrition and sport is constantly changing at a rapid pace, I will like to research popular diets and workouts and communicate, through my blog, the effectiveness of these trends. As social media reveals different diets and popular workouts that are claimed to be used by Britney Spears or Jessica Alba, how do we know what really works and what is just a waste of your hard earned dollars? A popular website revealing celebrity workouts is advertised on the internet as well as celebrity diets . As my studies develop, I will tell you what workouts and diets are hot, and which are NOT!
Figure 2:
Jessica Alba

  
 I think that social media will be a great means for me to communicate to the public about my thoughts on nutrition and exercise regime, as well as get feedback from anyone with a passion towards these areas. I would love to start educating others more about healthy Vietnamese cuisine. There is a popular traditional story in Vietnam that told of a king who offered his daughter's hand for marriage. The chosen suitor would be the man who brought the most delicious meal to the king. After thousands of men lined up for this opportunity, the king was presented with meals of exquisite duck and filet mignon. However, the man the king chose to wed his daughter was a peasant farmer who was very poor. All he had to offer the king were salad rolls, simple food eaten by the lower class (see pic below). The punchline of the story: something so simple and taken fresh from mother nature can be delicious AND nutritious!

With this thought, I invite others to eat foods how they were meant to be eaten! Straight from earth's roots. As trans fat is on an alarming incline, I encourage you all to stick to fresh fruits and vegetables, straight from the garden. Crisp, fresh and delectable! I ran across a fellow student's blog in nutrition and I am very excited to meet someone which such similar interests in healthy living and public education. Check it out at http://pc204.blogspot.com/. An inspirational blog that I came across on the internet as well is that of Alan Aragon's.  If you interested more about nutritional science and sport, he is the man to go to!

Figure 3:
Vietnamese Salad Rolls

That is all for now! Please feel free to leave some feedback. Cheers and happy eating!

References:

Figure 1: Apples [Photograph], (2012). Retrieved from: http://forserious.ca/2009/10/03/world-compares-apples-to-apples-canada-wants-fruit-combo/.

Figure 2: Jessica Alba [Photograph], (2012). Retrieved from: http://iphone.88000.org/33__Jessica_Alba_.htm.

Figure 3: Vietnamese Salad Rolls [Photograph], (2012). Retrieved from: http://www.epicureselections.com/en/recipe/262


2 comments:

  1. This post was very easy to relate to, and therefore enjoyable to read. As a dancer I i know what it's like to want a certain body type, and I know lots of girls who have struggled with dieting and eating disorders. I think lots of girls would really benefit from talking to someone like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pauline,

    I really enjoyed reading your introductory blog post, and also really liked the way you have your blog formatted. The pictures of veggies on the sides allows the reader to know what your blog is going to be about before they even read it. I liked how you stressed the concept of eating food as it is meant to be eaten, from the earth. I couldn't agree more, and I feel like you will do well as a dietician by sticking to this concept!
    Brittany Stewart ALES 204

    ReplyDelete